Saturday, March 19, 2011

Update Busy Busy

I arrived during a blizzard and it was the coldest day they had all year. I jumped off the plane with my coat open and my gloves in my pocket. I had taken a few steps in the -54 weather and it became painfully cold quickly. I fumbled for my gloves and at the same time tried to keep my coat closed to the frozen blowing wind. I arrived inside the much warmer inside on the airport. The plane had been delayed for 6 hours so there was a quite a few people waiting to leave and people being picked up. I looked around and waited for about 20 mins then two people came in the door and walked right up to me and said you must be Shannon and were here to pick you up. One was my new boss and the other another co-worker in the office. Both were very nice and great humour. I felt very comfortable right away. We loaded my 8 crazy heavy totes and off we went. Dealing with the 8 totes in Edmonton back to the hotel and back to the airport was a nightmare I wish to never repeat.

I get to my new home, which is a good size, but older  fourplex. It has borrowed furniture till mine arrives. The internet is painfully slow and we only get 500mb. a month, which I could use in 5 days if I’m not careful. So loading pictures is almost impossible.

The next day the blizzard continues, no planes land that day, and they close the hamlet. My new office is open and I head off to work, which I get a ride phew cause not sure where I live yet in the little hamlet.
I meet everyone and am pleasantly surprised, everyone is so nice. My work is turning out to be challenging and very comfortable. I travel in two weeks and will tour the Kitikmeot area. I will stop at 4 Schools and meet with the DEA assistants and principals of the Schools.

I have been crazy busy. This place is so social. I have gone to sewing class which I am making a pair of Caribou gloves. Which I so need, I am going to make a pair for Reza and then I want to make Gimmicks (spelling??) they are the seal or Caribou boats. Then I want to make a Mother Hubbard Parka. Yesterday was a going away party at work where I got to try Caribou (yummy). Then I was invited to a birthday party during the evening ( I had a great time and laughed so much).  They play volleyball, and curling. Lots of sports happen during the evening. I have been busy reading (work) in the evenings.

The weather since the blizzard has been gorgeous sun every day. It has snowed twice and that drifts around cause it is always windy. The wind makes the temp so much colder. The sun rises around 7 am and sets around 7pm. It is crazy dry here and everything you touch you get a huge zap, but I have gotten used to that. My lips have gotten used to the dry, at first it was horrible till I found my lipsul.

Prices are all over the map. Some things like cream $9.50, milk $8.00 for a 2L. Wagonwheels $22. But some (a few)things are almost the same as home.

Well I am going to work on my gloves today and some more reading material.

11 comments:

  1. Love to see that you are settled in and enjoying all the new sights.Glad that you're making gloves,chewing the hide too?lol keep up all the info about where you now live, miss you love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom
    I went for an hour and half walk today. I went to the frozen ocean and watch the people head out on the land for hunting. They are very excited that spring is here and frolics will begin. There is a huge Ice road that goes out on the ocean for trucks to drive on. Not sure what is out there. The people go hunting and stay in tents on the frozen land or ice. They are after the Caribou. My legs are still cold an hour later. The sun is stating to go down, at 7:20pm.
    When you coming up MOM???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop chewing when you get to the toenails - ewww.
    I bet Mom is booking her flight right this second......are ya,Mom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take lots of pictures...I am so curious about the place. It must be so exciting.
    New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I send you my glove size? Don't leave too many teeth marks in them.
    New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL...See how long it takes me to make these suckers...and I am NOT doing the chewwy kind...You will have to chew your own.
    How was the wedding New Yorker?
    oh yes forgot this one is for COR... i had streaks put in my hair before I left and three times I have had someone come up to my hair describing to other people that the color of there new hide is one of the colors of my hair as they lift it to show each other...hmmm hello...Really

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello hairdresser lady - I would like Reindeer highlights with streaks of polar bear please. You know - the color they are in mid-summer...... personal space be-gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wedding was awesome...my baby is all grown up...they were really surprised and my niece couldn't wipe teh smile off her face...too little time but good fun
    Aloka

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was colors of fox.
    Aloka that is very cool, glad you got to enjoy your other family..

    ReplyDelete