Sunday, March 20, 2011

Country food

On Friday after work it was nonstop snow mobiles going by. They were excited to get out on the land and go hunting. As I sit here Sunday I am hearing them all coming home. I did see one set of hoves so one family will be happy. All the foos they catch here is called country food.
Yesterday I walked down to the beach and saw the ice road. It is even plowed so trucks can drive on it. Most of the hunters are heading to Victoria Island that is where the Caribou are. It can take 8 hours of riding to get there. They sleep in tents in Caribou pelts. A little cold for meee.

12 comments:

  1. You gonna haul your little self in a heated shed to get your "country food"?
    Does cariboo taste gamey like elk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caribou is not gamey at all. It tasted like a tender beef roast. Better than beef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to go hunting, when it warms up a bit..Today was so warm, I didn't need my big hat and my nose hairs didn't freeze. Gorgeous sun all day, everything is melting fast..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you allowed to carry a weapon?? Just sayin....
    Now I know what to get you for Xmas - a nose hair trimmer. Less ice up the nose has gotta be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I will have to ask if they will let me carry a weapon.Carry mean hunting out on the land, not carry around town, like Not to the grocery store. They may just give me stuff for some unknown reason.
    I think I need all I mean ALL my nose hairs. I am not even trimming them. I think they save my brain from being frozen.
    It was very warm here today! So no worries about the brain thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scary thought that a few little teeny nose hairs are the only think keeping your big ol brain un-frozen.
    Remember when Mum used to sat that if we made ugly faces they might freeze that way???? keep smiling

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya that smile on my face was from when I got off the plane, has been frozen there ever since.
    snowing today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah - that's what New Yorker said - she was right then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. she said that smile looked frozen on

    ReplyDelete